Monday, August 6, 2007

The Finer Things in Life

Riding with the best sister in the world never gets old.

So, the interview(s) are underway and I hope and pray that today's goes well at B & N. Imagine that...a walk in and interview for the cafe in the same day! Well, it happened, so ready or not here I come. Other things about today, I have cleaned my room (well almost totally), vacuumed out my car (including the nasty glove box), and now I am about to shower and spif up before the interview.

A captivating thought that ran across my mind today: what does it really mean to live with the finer things in life? Most of the US would think having a nice car, house, a couple of kids, maybe a dog, cat, and goldfish. The house would always be kept clean, the cars as well with the boat out back that was cherry red. Church on Sundays and Wednesdays, school during the week, and various practices/sports/events throughout the week.

Well...as a college student none of these apply and I realized this afternoon (when I was vacuuming out my 14 year old Honda) that I am happy with my life. This morning I was bummed at not having a job, the great Senior year about to begin, not having a significant other, and wondering how in the world I will manage after May comes.... But rest assured, I have so many things that make my life much finer than ever imagined before. I have a family. Two parents (still married- 25 years, in fact) and a sister whom is my best friend. I have a church body, a way to go to college, and I live in a house with two wonderful roommates that love the Lord and keep me company even when I do act like a crazy girl.

I believe that the finer things in life might go like this (for me; everyone else has his/her own):

1. Being able to rise in the am with a breath that only God himself gave me.

2. Feeling the wind blow in my face as I run down the street.

3. Watching the sun rise without a cloud in the sky.

4. The access to water to shower.

5. Being able to choose out my clothes for the day (yes, actually getting to choose and not wearing something dirty, old, or torn).

6. Having a car to drive and a phone to reach people with.

7. Being able to search for a job and people take an interest in my skills and talents.

8. Lastly, having people that care so much for me that they would tell me how I have made an impact in his/her life.

These truly are finer things to life. Forget the new, fancy car and all the things that make you smell good, look good, feel good....all of these things are TEMPORARY. Heaven is eternal. Therefore, my gifts and talents go to storage in heaven, so that one day I will hear those longed words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

No comments: